We, the Women of the World, state that:
- Women and men need to recover and assert their identity and complementarity in their own interest, the interest of their family, the labour market and society at large.
- There is a feminine identity which is developed in its full dimension in complementarity and reciprocity with men.
- Women provide a unique contribution to stability in the family, the workforce, society and the common good.
- Women’s role in society must be developed in all aspects without discrimination, violence or exploitation, as part of the millennium challenges.
- There is a unique value and dignity in motherhood.
- In western countries, women are nowadays discriminated against because of their motherhood.
- Motherhood is an advantage for women in the work place, and profitable for society as a whole.
- Motherhood and women\’s dedication to the family does not suppress their personal or intellectual development, on the contrary, it consolidates their personality and the development of their feminine identity.
- Non-market work and the exclusive or prior dedication to the family is a social and economical value.
- The authentic emancipation of women entails the freedom to be and live as a woman.
Therefore we demand:
- Universal recognition and respect of the feminine identity, its dignity and true equality between men and women in their complementarity and reciprocity.
- International policies in defense of women’s freedom to choose their dedication to the family, which implies true reconciliation between family and working life.
- Universal recognition in international legislation of the value of the silent and apparently invisible women’s work inside their families and the universal management of the term “exclusive dedication to the family” as a labour group.
- An international frame of policies of protection for working women who want to have children or are dedicated exclusively or partially to the care and attention of their family and the eradication of any form of discrimination towards them.
- Universal prohibition of surrogate motherhood. Surrogacy is a violation of the dignity of both the surrogate mother and the child. It is a new form of exploitation of women and human trafficking, making the child the object of a contract.